Thursday, November 15, 2012

Staying in (Organizational) Shape

As is probably obvious by now, I'm always looking for new ways to get organized, and I get very excited when I find things - systems, ideas, containers - that work and make my life easier. In the process, I've also discovered something else - something that should have been inherently obvious.

These things only work when you - I - use them. Consistently.

It's been a crazy week, and in the process, I've fallen off the organization wagon. I've neglected to write things on my two-column calendar. I've stopped keeping my crazy, color-coded list. And, as a result, I've felt even more overwhelmed than necessary.

Oddly enough, it took me a little while to figure out what I (obviously!) needed to do. I blame that on the fact that, of necessity, I've been approaching things with a laser focus for the past week. Unfortunately, that also meant that not a whole lot got done unless it was within the scope of that laser focus.

Then, when I came up for air, I saw chaos. Everywhere.

My first reaction was panic, followed quickly by the desire to avoid doing anything. Fortunately, it didn't take me long to recognize that the remedy was simple, and right at my fingertips.

Creating things - blogs, classes, organizational systems - is fun. Maintaining them is hard. And, when we try to reinvent the wheel, that makes everything even harder than it has to be. So, when we find the things that work, we need to remember what they are and remember how to access them.

I'm happy to report that I'm back on the organizational wagon. The lists on my calendar are a little overwhelming, but they are a map out of the chaos, one turn at a time. And if I broaden my focus, I think I can whip things into shape fairly quickly. But no one promised that it would be easy.

Or permanent.



No comments:

Post a Comment