Monday, November 5, 2012

Filling the Pages, Part 2 - A Page of a Different Kind

On Halloween morning, I spent some time clearing out my inbox. Well, okay - putting a dent in the massive pile of e-mail that is my inbox. Anyway, I found a Sneak Preview email from Copyblogger announcing the EBookWriMo Challenge. Intrigued, I investigated and discovered this was something of interest. I printed it out.

Later that day, I received Copyblogger's Start Your Engines! e-mail. By then, I had already decided to give EBookWriMo a try, so I did the thing you do when you are interested in something but still procrastinating. I printed it out and put all the info in a neat pile so I could create a file.

But, as I write this on Halloween evening, I know I need to do more than create a file. If I truly want to write an e-book in November, then the file is just the beginning. I am writing this blog now and filing it away for a day in November when I can't post because I'm working on my e-book.

Why on earth would anyone want to write an e-book in November you ask? Well, it's not any crazier than writing a novel in November, and NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) gets thousands of takers every year. And, since I already have two novels calling me to revise them, not only does writing another novel make no sense, but I also lack an idea (at the moment) for another novel. This is actually good news to a pantser (someone who writes by the seat of her pants) who has two novels waiting to be revised.

But writing an e-book? It sounds more bite-sized. And it comes with directions in the form of Ali Luke's post on writing a high quality e-book in thirty days. I'm hoping that the creative aspect of the
e-book writing will nudge the less creative process (in my mind) of revision along. Or, it could just be another way to procrastinate. Time will tell.

Anyway, since I'm writing an e-book in November, I'm storing up posts. This one will pop up early enough in the month that you can give this a try, too, if you're interested. Just click on the links for Copyblogger and Ali Luke's blog in this blog to get started. And if you decide to participate, leave me a comment. That way we'll know we're in this together.

Happy NaNoWriMo/EBookWriMo!

No comments:

Post a Comment