Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Fully Stocked

Every year, the back-to-school goodies make their appearance in July, sparking excitement for (or dread of) new school. And every year, for as long as I can remember, I've loved stocking up on all my favorite supplies, fueled by sale prices and a love for stationery products.

This year is different. I retired in June, and when I cleared out my office, I brought home enough supplies (that I had purchased!!) to keep me in business for quite a while. Never one to be content with simply the school-issued items, I had colored file folders, see-through folders, accordion folders, colored index cards...the list (and the pile in my mud room!) goes on.

Bypassing all those displays felt weird - or, it would have, if I'd actually bypassed them. As it turns out, I couldn't help myself. I ventured down one aisle, then another, taking stock, seeing what was new and what was on sale. With the exception of the excursion for my daughter's school supplies, I left (nearly) empty-handed, honoring my self-imposed moratorium.

I suspect this isn't the only thing that will feel weird as I step out of summer and into fall. I'm told that my retirement won't really hit me until everyone else goes back and I don't, but I'm not sure that will be the case. A young retiree, I've been making fall plans since last March, determined to discover what it is that I want to be when I grow up.

Whatever it is, I feel sure it will involve school supplies.

1 comment: