Wednesday, April 25, 2012

At the end of January, I made the decision to retire in June, which makes me a lame duck counselor. It's weird being in that position. Around me, work life goes on, and increasingly, that life includes planning for things I won't be around to see.

I'm not sure how to act. Out of habit, I bring notepads to meetings, and although there's no need for me take notes, I write things down. So far, I haven't really been sad about any thing I'm going to miss. In fact, sometimes, I feel as though I am already being phased out. I can see my own extinction and it's a strange feeling.

But then there are moments where simple things bring me to tears. Yesterday, I was writing the final installment of "Guidance Goodies" for our school newsletter and I included an item about my retirement. I had typed a rough draft over a week ago, but yesterday, editing the final copy brought me to tears. Not the sobbing, can't-catch-my-breath variety, but nuisance tears - just enough to smear my make-up and redden my eyes, but not enough to constitute a crying jag.

I have spent the last 27 years building relationships - with kids, with families, with staff. Although there is no one thing I will miss, there are many small things. Drop-in visits from teachers. Kids who come into my office excited by a strategy that worked or a problem they solved. Hallway conversations with long-time PTO volunteers who have become part of the fabric of the building. Everything I will miss is centered around the people in this place, and though I will be able to replicate many of the activities, I will not be able to do the same with the feelings. It is truly bittersweet.

Now, if you will excuse me, I think I may need a tissue. Perhaps I should stock up.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, Lisa, this too will pass. Blessings to you as you adjust to your "new" life. It will get better as you find different things to work/have fun with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. There are so many things I am looking forward to (writing!), but the uncertainty is very difficult, as are the good-byes. Looking for ways to balance the life I have known with the one that lies ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, the feelings you've shared totally remind me of how I felt the last year my son was in elementary school. It really is so bittersweet! (I was one of those perennial PTO volunteers!) I know a couple of our retired elementary teachers came back as volunteers for a while after they retired. Something to consider... (Unless you'll be too busy travelling the world! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how I love the perennial PTO volunteers...soooo much we could not do without you! I am already looking into those volunteer opportunities, which include continuing to assist with the gifted writers. I need to balance those with knowing when to exit gracefully, however :-)

    ReplyDelete