Tuesday, June 7, 2011

30,000 Word Challenge

It is the end of the school year, and one of my writing colleagues has issued a challenge: write 30,000 words by June 30. One has nothing to do with the other, except that this is a particularly difficult time to accept this challenge. Any sane person would simply smile and walk away.

Evidently, I don't fit that description. I thought about it for a whole two seconds before e-mailing her that I was in. Given the constraints on my time, I will be amazed if I hit the target, but I decided that keeping track of the words I put on the page was an interesting proposition, and that I had nothing to lose, and only progress on my work-in-progress to gain.

We writers are suckers for any proposition that offers us an opportunity for forward momentum. Like exercising with a buddy (something else I was supposed to tackle in June, but I digress...), writing with a buddy gives us a certain accountability. In this case, prayer is also part of the promise and proposition, and it seemed pretty foolish to turn down an opportunity to have other writers praying for me and my progress.

It is June 7 and I am at not quite 1500 words. School is out in not quite a week, opening up both my schedule and my daughter's. I'm not yet sure how that will work out, but I am sure of one thing.

I'm off on a writing adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment