Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I was a good mom today - I got my daughter to school on time. I am usually running at least a few minutes late for everything in my own life, but I try not to make my daughter late. It's a mom pride thing.

Unfortunately, I'm not a morning person, so I have difficulty getting up as early as I should in order to make our mornings go smoothly. 

So why not give up and just put her on the bus? Spend time over breakfast, finish getting ready after she has left since I don't have to be at work for half an hour after her homeroom bell rings?

Because I love driving my daughter to school. Specifically, I love our car rides. She takes charge of the radio and despite the fact that I don't always like what we're listening to, I do like that it gives me insight into what she likes. We talk. I get a glimpse of her world.

Sure, it'd be easier to have her catch the bus at the corner, then revel in a quiet house where I can have the bathroom all to myself. Sure, some days it's tempting to use my dad's line - you can choose the station when you get a car of your own - rather than listening to 
music that makes my head hurt. And sure, there are some days when one of us is in a less-than-stellar mood and I wonder why I thought this was such a great idea in the first place.

But most days, I just like her company. And soon enough, she'll be in high school, just a short walk from our house, and these rides will be a thing of the past. I'll be able to take my time in the bathroom, listen to whatever music I want to, and maybe even sing along without embarrassment (to either of us).

Strangely enough, that makes me sad.

2 comments:

  1. You are so right about this time of your lives, Lisa. Take it from me, those car rides will always be remembered by you both. Twenty five years later,I now get my quality chat time with my daughter thanks to cell phones and Bluetooth while she mucks out six stalls every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do enjoy the drives. It used to be AM and PM, but now she has sports practices after school, so the AM drives are even more precious.

    See you soon!!!

    ReplyDelete