Saturday, July 10, 2010

Vacation is a State of Mind

It's raining on our beach vacation, and it doesn't bother me one bit. I'm sitting on a screened-in porch with a good book, an iced tea and my laptop, and there's nowhere else I'd rather be.

We've rented this same condo for about five years now, and coming back feels like home. Granted, if this were our last day here, or if this weather had greeted us as we unpacked the car yesterday, I'd have been much less relaxed about the whole thing. But today, with a slight breeze, much-needed rain and nothing pressing on the schedule, I'm rather enjoying it.

At home, I'd feel obligated to do something, to be productive. Here, I can spend the whole day in this one spot and make no apologies.

I certainly hope this weather doesn't greet us every day, but for today, I'm at my home away from home, just taking it all in.

Maybe it really is mind over matter, or as someone once said - "if you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

2 comments:

  1. Sounds kind of wonderful to me. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Susan. I'm now trying to convince my husband we need to screen in the porch at home :-)

    ReplyDelete