Monday, January 4, 2010

Vacation Postlude

My lovely, long Christmas vacation has drawn to a close. I always think I'm going to get so much more done during my time off, and I do...but in between routine medical appointments, visits to family and all the other delights the holidays have to offer, I never seem to make much of a dent in my to-do list. Then, as the end of my vacation draws closer, I become disillusioned - and grumpy - mourning both the loss of my unstructured time and the missed opportunities.

Then, I kick into high gear, attacking one project, or perhaps several, in an effort to make up for lost time. In the end, I'm still not satisfied with the progress I've made, but at least I can point to something I've accomplished.

It' s sad that I go through this same process every time. The good thing, however, is that the older I get, the more I realize that the most important things I've accomplished can't be pointed to: days spent with my husband and daughter at my parents' home with my sister and her family, a trip to the movies with my daughter and her friend, dinner alone with my husband while my daughter was at basketball practice, New Year's Eve spent with friends at one restaurant and an annual holiday luncheon with more friends at a different restaurant.

Not that I plan on discontinuing those to-do lists any time soon - my house looks better now because of them - but I am working on tackling them with a grain of salt because I am slowly realizing that they are endless, but life is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment