Monday, January 18, 2010

Resolutions for the New-ish Year

I was thinking about New Year's resolutions, especially since my last several entries have focused on mine. Who says they have to be limited to January 1st? On January 1st, the new year is still, well, new, and I don't really know what I want to focus on. I have sort of vague notions, but it usually takes me the better part of January to zoom in on things I really want to work on. And, it usually takes me the better part of January to weed out the serious resolutions from the "gee, wouldn't it be great/fun if I..." ideas that will simply exhaust me.

So, now that I'm more than halfway through January, it seems that three resolutions have survived the transition from January 1 to January 18:

  • First: Finish one thing before starting another.
  • Second: Keep my to-do list all in one place...or, at the very least, have one for home and one for work. This will be the year I stop scattering sticky notes across the planet...or at least across my desk.
  • Third: Find opportunities for creativity. I am a discovery writer, which is a fancy name for making it up as I go along. If I concentrate on divergent thinking, making time to just let my mind wander instead of trying to make every thought relevant to something (e.g. the sometimes stifling synopsis of my novel), it can only improve the creative process....I hope.

So, there you have it. My new year's resolutions. I'm off to a great start - they've survived the first two weeks of the new year. Eleven and a half months to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment