Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Stress or Self-Help?

I had a good childhood. I really did. My parents were - are - kind and loving -kind of cool, even - and I truly hope that I'm as good a parent now as they were then.


My childhood didn't contain the packed schedule kids have today -or that I have now. As I examine my schedule, wondering if I should pare it back, or expect my daughter to do so, I wonder - am I making up for lost time?

I didn't have piano lessons as a child. Or dance lessons. I didn't play soccer or softball, and I didn't miss these things, or feel cheated. I did have violin lessons when they were offered at school, and when I got to high school, I signed up for everything, a habit I retain to this day.


Today, I have more responsibilities and less free time and energy than I did when I was in high school, but the desire to do more, know more, try more has not abated. In fact, I seem to have passed it on to my daughter.


Which brings me back to my earlier question. If I'd had these things as a child, would I pursue them so passionately now? My mother shakes her head (as I said in an earlier post) and swears I've always been like this, so maybe it's more personality and less playing catch up.


And if I pass this desire - or these genes - along to my daughter, am I setting her up for a lifetime of stress? Or, will she develop a love of learning and become a Renaissance woman with a wide variety of interests?


As I watch my conscientious daughter try to do it all in school and out, I can't help but wonder what advice I should pass along. And if I do advise her, will she do as I say, or as I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment