Monday, August 17, 2009

Cruising: Headed for Bermuda

My husband, my daughter and I just returned home from our first cruise. Because I was too cheap to post my blogs from the ship, I saved them to post upon my return. Here's my blog from the very first night at sea - before we hit the rough waters of the Gulf Stream that made many of the passengers seasick and sent me running for my patch, abandoning the pressure-point-based SeaBands I used for the first day of our journey:

I'm sitting on the balcony of Explorer of the Seas about an hour outside NY Harbor. It's a little after 11:00 US time/midnight Bermuda time. We've had a full day.

I was afraid I'd find being out in the middle of the ocean terrifying, but so far, sitting out here on the balcony, I love the peacefulness, even though it's pitch black.

I find myself drawn to this balcony. It was a wonderful place to be as we pulled out of port. We were on one balcony and our traveling companions were on theirs (beside ours) and we chattered back and forth about everything we saw as we pulled farther and farther away from port.

I couldn't wait to get back out on the balcony with my keyboard (I took my Alpha Smart on the trip because it's both lighter and more indestructible than my laptop) just to type my impressions and whatever came into my head.

What a blessing it is to be able to take this trip. My friend Lisa, with whom we're traveling, said that once you get here, you're truly on vacation. Everything is taken care of and all you have to do is relax. At home, that's a pretty tall order, but here, I think I can manage that.

No comments:

Post a Comment