Friday, June 17, 2022

Friday Feature: Always Eat Lunch


 I don't remember much about the district party the year I retired. Other people gave speeches. I gave one, too, but the only thing I remember is my concluding statement. 

"Always eat lunch."

It seems so silly, so simple, but so many people don't eat lunch. And, of those who do, many don't stop working. Instead, they eat at their desks or nibble on something as they move around doing more work.

And they all think it's necessary.

And me? Now that I'm retired (sort of), I'm guilty of that some days, too. I get on a roll, and I don't want to stop long enough to have a civilized meal.

If I lived in France, this would not be allowed. What started as a move to keep people physically healthy became so embedded in the culture that working lunches are unheard of.

Little did I know my advice was so cosmopolitan. 

I did know, however, that taking a break is good for our mental health and, as it turns out, for our productivity as well. What seems like wasted time is actually time well spent. 

Kind of like kids and recess. But that's another blog post.

So, whether it's because you're cosmopolitan, in need of a break or just hungry, treat yourself to an actual lunch.

You deserve it.




No comments:

Post a Comment