Friday, October 22, 2021

Friday Feature: How Real is this Show?


I've been fascinated by FX's Impeachment: American Crime Story. Though it bothers me that some of the actors don't (to my mind) look enough like the characters they're playing, they are nevertheless roping me in with their performances. 

The more I watch, the more I find myself wondering how accurate the storyline is. I was not only alive when all of this was happening, I was a full-fledged adult. I was not, however, the newshound I am now and I had a small child, so it's not surprising that I didn't get as absorbed by the story as it was actually unfolding as I am now. In addition, while news was quite accessible 20+ years ago, it wasn't as ubiquitous as it is now.

But this is now and so, if I want to know if something is accurate, I simply need to ask Google and follow the path to an article that tells me what I want to know. In this case, it was an article in Rolling Stone that contained an interview with show runner and playwright Sarah Burgess.

Bottom line? Pretty real. Monica Lewinsky was a very involved producer on the show, working with Burgess and others to make sure as many details survived as possible. This is, admittedly, one side of the story but a side that, when coupled with research into the facts that were reported at the time, helps to create a well-rounded story.

And a well-crafted and engaging one at that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment