Friday, November 6, 2020

Friday Feature: Choosing Joy


On Tuesday, I declared that I was choosing joy. At the peak of uncertainty in our political process, I'd had enough of the anxiety, the disbelief and the anger, all of which were being whipped into a frenzy by not just social media but actual news reports of just how well we all were not getting along.

The thing is, joy is something we can always choose. We can't make the bad stuff go away, we can't deny that the world isn't always a rosy place, but we can choose our own outlook. We can carve out a few minutes of joy even in the midst of sadness and sorrow. 

As I type this, I have no idea what the election results will be, nor do I know if we'll have this information by the time this post goes live, but I am determined not to let them steal my joy. They will influence it, of course, as whoever is running the country has an enormous impact on very important things in my life, but in my little corner of the world, I can always choose joy, even if only for a few moments. 

And, lest I forget, I can turn to the experts to see just how easy it can be to change my outlook from gloom and doom to not so bad, or, if I'm determined, life is good. On her Aesthestics of Joy blog, Ingrid Fetell Lee shares "8 Quick Things You Can do Right Now to Boost Your Mood."

It's been a tough week. Why not give it a shot? The only thing you have to lose is a little gloom and doom, and that sounds like a pretty good trade-off to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment