Monday, November 30, 2020

A Few of My Favorite Things About one of My Favorite People

Two of my favorite people :-)


Today is my dad's birthday. For the past few weeks, I've been sharing some of my favorite things and today, in honor of my dad's special day, I'd like to share a few of my favorite things about him.

  • His integrity. My parents, like most, taught me right from wrong. I got a master class in integrity, though, watching my dad deal with customers. He was always not just honest, but forthright. You got the whole story from my dad and, while he was kind, he didn't sugarcoat.
  • His intelligence. Based on family stories, I get the feeling that, when it came to school, my dad was more class clown than teacher's pet, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a keen mind and a sharp wit. Even now, in his eighties, he still has both, though the wit has been tempered a bit with time.
  • His generosity. Even as a kid, he was always finding a way to earn a few bucks. But, once he had them, he was generous with them. He worked hard and he appreciates -- and rewards -- others who do the same. 
  • His persistence. The last few years have dealt him some lousy cards, the lousiest of which was the loss of his soul mate. He had a rough go of it for a bit, but he never gave up. He pushed forward even when he could only take one step at a time, relocated to a new place in a new state and put the independent in independent living, carving out a new niche while never losing the best of the old one. 
  • His practicality. My dad is a problem-solver by nature, but he also knows when to stop fighting and change course. He knows what matters and what doesn't in the scheme of things, and is great at remembering (and reminding me) to focus on the things that are within his control and let go of the rest. 
  • His loyalty. He's a loyal customer, a loyal friend, and a loyal family man. If you need him, he'll be there, one way or another.
It's been a tough year all around, and the rules at my dad's senior community have (rightfully) limited our face-to-face interactions. Today, though, we got to celebrate his birthday with him, masks, social distancing, and all. For that, and for everything else he has given me, I am grateful.

Love you, Dad. Happy Birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment