Monday, October 5, 2020

World Teachers' Day

canva.com
Today is World Teachers' Day. Can I tell you secret?

I never set out to become a teacher. I majored in psychology, intending to become Bob Newhart.

Well, not him exactly. When I was a teenager, The Bob Newhart show was on on Saturday nights. On it, he played a psychologist with some wacky clients. As a high school student who liked helping friends solve problems, I thought his job looked like fun.

And that was the very professional, conscientious way in which I determined my future career path. 

Everything was going according to plan until graduate school when I did an internship in school counseling. I walked into a classroom to teach a guidance class and that was it. 

I was home. 

More than three decades later, I'm still in the classroom. My "kids" are a lot bigger and any counseling I do is strictly informal. It's a tough semester, but every time I walk into a classroom, Zoom or otherwise, I know I'm where I'm supposed to be. 

I celebrated World Teachers' Day exactly as you'd expect. Teaching classes, grading papers and finally sitting down to finish this post (that I started last night) late in the evening. There is still more to do, but it's time to call it a day.

Tomorrow, another group of "kids" will be waiting for wisdom. If I'm lucky, I'll bring some.


No comments:

Post a Comment