Friday, March 13, 2020

Friday Feature: Why be Kind?

This week, as I scanned social media posts ranging from "Why should I stay home? I'm not sick" to those bearing photos of grocery shelves completely devoid of disinfectant wipes, hand sanitizer and toilet paper, I wondered what would make a good Friday Feature. I did a web search for altruism and one for selflessness, then finally just typed in "why should we be nice to each other?"

Why indeed.

But I found my topic: kindness.

Let me start by saying that it can be hard to be kind when we are scared and scared is running rampant these days. But, it can also be argued that when we're scared, we not only need to receive kindness, but give it as well. It is, perhaps, in those times that random, small acts of kindness can make the biggest difference.

I found lots of articles on the benefits of being nice to one another, but this one from Goodnet resonated with me the most. And, when it comes to altruism, this article ("Stanford Psychologists Show that Altruism is not Simply Innate") with its picture of a happy, adorable toddler rolling a ball was worth a read as well.

Often in life, practice does not make perfect. But, when it comes to practicing things like kindness and altruism, imperfect isn't such a bad deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment