Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Syllabus Creation Week -- Crossover Post A

Today, I'm doing something I haven't done in a while -- a crossover post -- and I thought it would be fun to do it with a twist.

Each week, I post blogs on three different sites -- CatholicMom.com and my two sites -- here and Organizing by STYLE. While my focus here is writing, family, teaching and related topics, my focus at Organizing by STYLE is organizing, time management and related topics.

Despite having two blog sites, I have one life and the same life events and occurrences spark different post ideas. Some are right for this blog, others for Organizing by STYLE.

So, today, I thought it would be fun to take the same first sentence and use it to write a post for each site. There are a few other sentences in common, too, but the end result will be two different posts. 

I hope you enjoy my experiment. Feel free to click over to Organizing by STYLE to see another side of the same story.

This week, I am writing syllabi, which means I'm not spending much time with my characters. I was on a roll with my revisions, making really nice progress and enjoying all the complications I'd created for Marita, Bets, Angel, Charli and all those who surround them. Unfortunately, duty called and I have to leave my characters languishing for a bit while I take care of more time-sensitive issues. Leaving them to their own devices is not always a good idea; they sometimes cook up plot twists in my absence.

Fortunately, my writers' critique group meeting falls right in the middle of this novel writing (or,
more accurately, revising) drought, which will give me the boost I need. Although I know my characters aren't real people, I miss them and get antsy to get back to them if I'm away too long. Talking about them at the meeting will make up for some of the time we've spent apart.

Pixabay
So, this week, instead of adventures with my characters, I'm having adventures with my daughter -- a week of shopping and appointments and whatever else materializes. In between, I'll work on my syllabi and try to fit in some revising sprints but, quite honestly, I'm more interested in fitting in time with her. By this time next week, she'll be back at school and, while I'm happy she'll be five hours away instead of an ocean away, the quiet house and empty calendar pages will be bittersweet.

I hope my characters will be happy to see me.

No comments:

Post a Comment