Friday, July 26, 2019

Friday Feature: 3 Problem-Solving Strategies Happy People Use

I am, by nature, a happy person. This doesn't mean I don't ever get sad or angry -- I most certainly do. But, generally speaking, I look at life optimistically and nurture gratitude whenever I can. And, while I recognize that these traits can have an impact on both me and those around me, I never really considered the impact that they might have on the way I approach problems.

When I stumbled across Art Markman's article in Fast Company about this very topic, I was intrigued. Markman, a professor of psychology and marketing (now isn't that an interesting combination!) keeps it short and sweet, focusing on three ways that positivity plays out in problem-solving.

As I read the article, it all made perfect sense. Of course our personality traits influence our problem-solving; they are part of who we are and the way we look at the world. Our ability to step in or step back, focus on the past, the present, or the future (or alternate among those perspectives) and accept or abdicate responsibility all factor into the way we approach both problems and opportunities -- and whether we label a situation the former or the latter.

So, I'll keep my optimism, thank you very much, along with an awareness of when it's time to keep those rose-colored glasses on and when it's time to take them off.

No comments:

Post a Comment