Wednesday, December 26, 2018

No One Puts Writing in a Corner

Artsy Bee via Pixabay
I'm feeling a bit like the White Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland as I tackle this post today ("I'm late! I'm late! For a very important date!"). What's the thing I'm late for? 

This post.

This morning, when I woke up, everything was under control. I set my (reasonable) goals for the day, then climbed out of bed and threw in a load of laundry. 

That was the last I saw of my normal day.

Okay, so I'm exaggerating. Today was actually just another one of those days when writing got jostled, then nudged, then finally squashed into a corner by "other things that need to be done."

Only today, writing wasn't taking it lying down. Or squashed into a corner.

When I finally finished my Organizing by STYLE post -- after 2pm -- it was clear that if I continued working on blog posts, the writing project that was on my schedule for the day would fall asleep in the corner into which it had been unceremoniously squashed, and that rousing it this evening would be a Herculean task.

So I did what I had to do.

I wrote the opening lines of this post to give myself a starting point, then I yanked my writing project out of the corner and left the house with my laptop to go work on the project. 

It worked. Two hours later, I got home, proposal refurbished, new ideas brewing.

Besides spending time with my family, there are three things I look forward to over break: sleeping in, writing and reading -- pretty much in that order. But last week, writing spent a lot of time in the corner while I took care of "other things that need to be done" before Christmas. 

Now, those things are done and another Christmas has passed. It's time for writing to get top billing, as promised last week when I was doing all of those "other things." Unfortunately, my poor writing has been upstaged for so long that it no longer remembers that it's supposed to be playing a leading role. Luckily today, all it needed was a little prompting, so I have faith that tomorrow, it will re-emerge as the diva it is.

Even if it has to upstage everyone and everything in its path. 

No comments:

Post a Comment